The Beaufort County School District works with community organizations to publicize not-for-profit programs, services and special events, which might be of interest to students and their parents. In an effort to assist community organizations while minimizing the loss of instructional time associated with distributing materials at school, the district follows the following procedure.
Schools will not distribute any hard-copy flyers in student book bags but will make approved flyers available in display areas within individual schools. At the elementary school level, the display area will be accessible to parents; at the middle and secondary school levels, the display area will be accessible to students and parents.
The district will not approve flyers from for-profit organizations, even if those organizations are offering discounted or “free” services or products to students and their families. The district also will not approve flyers that promote fundraising efforts of non-profit groups. No commercial flyers will be made available for pick-up unless their purpose is to further an approved school activity such as graduation, class pictures or class rings.
Flyers will be approved for non-profit organizations only after review by the district’s Office of Communications.
Groups applying for flyer distribution must submit the following.
- Proof that the organization is a non-profit by providing an approved 501(c)(3) number.
- The organization’s full name and address.
- The name, title, e-mail address and telephone number for the person submitting the request on behalf of the organization.
A non-profit group that meets the above requirements must also comply with the following:
- Programs or events must be held within Beaufort County.
- Activities and services must benefit students academically, develop character or improve physical fitness.
- Programs or events must be youth-related or related to youth education.
- The flyer must include information about the organization’s non-profit status.
- The flyer must contain school names only as location information for events held at schools.
- The flyer must clearly display the sponsoring organization’s name and contact information.
- The flyer must not disrupt the educational process, violate the rights of others, include material that is defamatory, invade the privacy of others, infringe on a copyright or use words or images that are obscene, vulgar or indecent.
- Because Beaufort County is home to about 4,000 Hispanic students and their families, the flyer must include copies translated into Spanish.
Once flyers have been approved, organizations may deliver them for placement in the appropriate display areas at individual schools. Schools will dispose of any flyers that have not been picked up by the expiration dates.
In order to receive district approval, please fill out the flyer approval form available at the bottom of this page.
Completed application forms--along with copies of the proposed flyer--should be mailed to Beaufort County School District, Office of Communications, PO Drawer 309, Beaufort, SC 29901. Completed application forms can also be scanned and e-mailed to email@example.com.
Please allow two (2) working days for processing from date of receipt of request.
THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMER MUST APPEAR ON EACH COPY OF THE FLYER:
“The Beaufort County School District does not endorse, sponsor or supervise the organization or activity represented in this material. The distribution or display of this material is provided as a community service. The sponsoring organization has agreed to hold the Beaufort County School District harmless and has indemnified the district from any legal action associated with the sponsoring organization.”
DISCLAIMER LANGUAGE IN SPANISH
El Distrito Escolar del Condado de Beaufort no apoya, patrocina ni supervisa la organización o actividad representada en este material. La distribución o exhibición de este material se ofrece como un servicio a la comunidad. La organización patrocinadora ha acordado celebrar el Distrito Escolar del Condado de Beaufort inofensivo y se ha indemnizado al distrito de cualquier acción legal relacionada con la organización patrocinadora.
If you have questions, please contact Jim Foster at 843-322-2432 or firstname.lastname@example.org.